Canadian Class Action Information
Canadian Class Action Filings
- May 2013 - A class action lawsuit, originally filed in 2007 in Northwest territories against Bell Mobility, has been decided in favor of the plaintiffs. Customers in this area have been charged $0.75 a month for a 9-1-1 service that is not available in the area. Justice Veal of the Supreme Bourt of the Northwest Territories has found that Bell is liable for the flase charges...
- Jan. 2013 - A B.C. judge has certified a class action lawsuit against the B.C. Lottery Corporation on behalf of those who have signed a voluntary self-exclusion agreement and have been denied their winnings as a result of this agreement...
- Despite the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that barred securities class actions if shares had been purchased on any foreign stock exchange, the Canadian Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal of a ruling against Canadian Solar Inc. The Kitchener, Ont.-based company trades shares on the U.S. NASDAQ but the lower court ruled that the company could be sued by its investors in Ontario...
- A ruling in November 2012 by the Quebec Court of Appeals repeats an ealier 2011 ruling made by the Supremem Court of Canada that found Ottawa "cannot be sured or held liable for damages in smoking lawsuits". Three major tobacco companies are entangled in a $27 billion civil trial in Montreal. Two lawsuits involving two separate groups of Quebec plaintiffs are being heard together. The plaintiffs allege that the tobacco companies encouraged their addiction...
- A class action lawsuits have been filed in Saskatchewan and are expected later in Ontario and British Columbia. The complaint alleges that certain bank analysts weree privy to insider information regarding Facebook financial information and they shared this information with their favoured clients...
- A class action complaint has been filed in the Superior Court of Montreal against the manufacturers and distributors of ACTOS, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company, and its affiliates, and Eli Lilly. The class action complaint alleges that the defendants knew or should have known about the increased risk of bladder cancer for those taking ACTOS...
- paidContent.org - A class action complaint has been filed against Apple and the Canadian subsidiaries of Macmillan, Penguin, Simon & Schurster, HarperCollins and Hachette alleging that they conspired to increase e-book prices by "as much as 50%" over Amazon’s pricing...
- Injury Lawyer News - A class action lawsuit in Canada against Chantix, Pfizer’s anti-smoking agent is moving forward while in the U.S. Chantix cases are being combined into an MDL...
- thestar.com - More than 200 past and present policewomen in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have alleged sexual harassment in a recent class action complaint against Canada’s federal police. Government lawyers are expected to fight the request for certification as a class action.
- The Canadian Press - A British Columbian Judge has certified a class action lawsuit against Microsoft that alleges Microsoft engaged in anti-competitive behavior...
- Class action lawsuitshave been filed in British Columbia on behalf of women who have used Yaz/Yasmin. This class action is similar to those filed in Ontario and Saskatchewan...
- Class action certification is being sought in the British Columbia courts on behalf of three women who claim that the Pfizer drug "Champix" causes suicidal tendencies as an unintended byproduct...
- Canadian citizens with Zonolite Attic Insulation claims (W.R.Grace) must file their ZAI Proof of Claim Forms on or before August 31, 2009. Additional answers to questions you might have can be found on the GRACE Bankruptcy Claims Information Site
- A Court approved settlement has been reached in the class action suit brought against Southwestern Resources Corp. Class Members must submit a Claim Form and trading information on or before June 1, 2009. Additional information is available from the Claims Administrator of the Southwestern Resources Corp ("SWR") Class Action Settlement.
- Cash Store Financial Services Inc. without an admission of liability announced a class action settlement in December 2008. This settlement relates to a lawsuit commenced in 2004 regarding brokerage fees and interest charged customers.
The Canadian Legal Information Institute is a non-profit organization managed by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. They provide several links to Class Action Litigation legislation for specific provinces. These legal guidelines are called class proceedings for: Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and New Brunswick. They are referred to as class actions for: Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Labrador, and Quebec.
- Alberta Class Proceedings Act
- British Columbia Class Proceedings Act (2010
- Manitoba Class Proceedings Act (2010)
- New Brunswick Class Proceedings Act
- St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Class Actions Act
- Nova Scotia Class Proceedings Act
- Quebec's Code of Civil Procedure, Book IX Class Action
- List of Acts and Regulations for Quebec
- Saskatchewan Class Actions Act
- Federal Courts Rules - Part 5.1 Class Proceedings
- National Class Action Database for Canada
- The Canadian Bar Association's National Class Action Database
Sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association, contains records for class action suits from 2003 to present. This database relies upon voluntary submissions and does not contain a comprehensive listing.
- Uniform Class Proceedings Act, 1996 (PDF)
Canada's Uniform Class Proceedings Act of 1996 covers: Definitions, Certification, Conduct of Class Proceedings, Orders, Awards and Related Procedures, Costs, Fees and Disbursements.
- Uniform Law Conference of Canada, August 21-25, 2005
This link provides Civil Section Minutes from the 2005 meeting where Inter-Jurisdictional Class Action working group provided recommendations.
- Supplementary Report on Multi-Jurisdictional Class
Proceedings in Canada, 2006 (PDF)
Following the acceptance of recommendations made by The Committee on National Class and Related Interjurisdictional Issues in 2005, the Civil Law Section of ULCC (Uniform Law Conference of Canada)identified four areas which warranted follow-up consideration.
- More Information on Canadian Class Action Procedure
General Overview and Current Cases
Class Action Overview is given and Cases in the News are listed (Rochon|Genova LLP)
Consumer Class Actions
Current Class Actions are listed along with a list of settled cases (Klein|Lyons)
- Sony Hit with Another Canadian Class Action Lawsuit
This article is included on a website maintained by Michael Geist, the Canada Research Chair of Internet and E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa.
- Global Jurist: USA-Canada Class Actions
An abstract for the article written by Genevieve Saumier is given. A link is provided for the article in its entirety.
- CTV.ca: Class Action Suit Filed over Birth Control Drug
This December 19, 2005 article discusses the $700 million class action lawsuit filed against the makers of Depo-Provera. This lawsuit is one of three filed in Canada.
- The Developing Role of Class Actions in Canadian Civil
This article by Paul Martin, reprinted from Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November, 2000 follows the evolution of class action litigation in Canada.
- Bre-X class action in Canada
Background for the Bre-X class action is given along with a time line for actions to be taken.